Python is the most popular programming language nowadays.It’s easy to learn and use, accessible to anyone and has become the standard in the data science industry. Python applications range from automation to software creation, machine learning and even insights generation.
Millions of people have found a new job thanks to learning Python. It’s the most demanded programming language by employers. In fact, more than 530,000 job postings in the U.S. alone require Python proficiency.
Kickstart your career as data analyst or code freely: we have listed the Best Online Python Courses for you. It doesn’t matter whether you are a beginner or a pro, there is definitely something for you in this post. Happy reading!
BEST PYTHON COURSES FOR BEGINNERS
1. Python for Everybody Specialization (Coursera by University of Michigan)
Looking for the best online python course online? Search no more as you’ve just found it. This python course by the University of Michigan is rated 4.8/5 and we share this view 100%. The course follows super logical & step-by-step experience for a complete learning path.
You can start the course for free, but in order to get the certificate you need to pay some money. Luckily financial aid is available if anyone needs it.
But, you can pass all the classes without paying anything, so if you don’t want a certificate you can accumulate knowledge for FREE.
The whole program will require approximately 8 months to complete (suggested 3 hours/week), but the flexible scheduling allows you to move at your pace.
Based on our experience, we are very confident in naming this as the best online python course for beginners.
Here is an overview of the specialization, which focuses on 5 main subjects:
1. Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)
2. Python Data Structures
3. Using Python to Access Web Data
4. Using Databases with Python
5. Capstone: Retrieving, Processing, and Visualizing Data with Python
Here’s an overview of the first module content:
Programming for Everybody: 19 hours to complete.
- Week 1: Introduction to programming and Python.
- Week 2: Installing and using Python, starting from the very basics.
- Week 3: A broad overview of how Python works, with first exercises on writing code.
- Week 4: Explore the four basic programming patterns starting with variables and expressions.
- Week 5: Conditional code, moving from sequential code.
- Week 6: Functions: what they are and how they work.
- Week 7: Loops and iteration to start building programs in Python.
Each week includes video lessons, readings, quizzes, and exercises. All of these are available on-demand aka always available.
As mentioned, the course is managed by the University of Michigan. The lectures are held by Charles Russell Severance who is a Clinical Professor at the University of Michigan School of Information and top-rated instructor on Coursera.
He teaches various technology-oriented courses and is a well-known book-author in the coding field.
The Proofreader team is not the only one convinced in the quality of this course: 1.8 million people across the globe feel the same way. This is quite epic in our view. Can you imagine 1.8 million people learning the same way you are?
It is our duty to point out that more than one-third of the participants achieved advancement in their career or shifted to a new one since they completed this course.
Interested in pursuing a career as an applied data analyst? Here is your change!
Best Online Python Courses For Beginners Testimonials (There are more than 39 000 reviews available for this course)
Second place in our Best Python Online Courses for Beginner goes to this one. It’s rated 4.6/5 and more than 1.1 million people across the globe have taken this course.
We are glad to say that this course is available in 7 different languages. This is probably one of the main reasons why it is liked by so many people.
This Udemy course’s cost is 129,99€. It includes 21.5 hours of on-demand videos, which are spread into 152 lessons. Lessons consist of reading tasks and different exercises that will embed your freshly acquired know-how.
As with the Best Online Python Course for Beginners, this one can be completed at your own pace and you’ll get a certification at the end that you can proudly list in your CV.
The course is broken down in 22 sections, covering several topics to help you build a complete understanding of Python from the ground up. Here are the key items that you’ll learn.
- How to install Python, run some code, and how to use notebooks and Github.
- Start exploring Python data types, variables, strings, lists, dictionaries, up to covering booleans and comparison operators.
- Statements, loops, functions, and interactions, going deeper with lambda expressions and nested statements, among others.
- After your first milestone project, the course explores object-oriented programming, with modules and packages up to errors and exception handling, ready for a second game-based milestone project.
- Decorators, generators, advanced Python modules, and a web scraping section for a more focused approach on working with Python with images, pdfs, spreadsheets, emails.
- Following the final capstone Python project, you can still explore advanced objects and data structures and some bonus material.
Each & every section comes with related tests and solutions, so you can be 100% sure that you’ll understand what you’ve just learned.
Your teacher here is Jose Portilla who is a Head of Data Science at Pierian Data Inc. More than 2 million people consider this long-time teacher as one of the behemoths in the coding industry.
Jose has held 30 different courses on Udemy and provides in-person data science and python programming training courses to employees working at top companies.
The price of the course might seem a tad high at first glance, once you’ve received your certification, you’ll be able to share it in social media. Why is it important? Well, you might end up in some headhunter’s feed and land a job that pays 1000x more than the initial fee for the course.
In our opinion it’s worth it!
Imagine yourself building a new career in roles like business intelligence analyst, data analyst and/or quantitative analyst. How does that sound?
Exciting, right? I can tell you that thousands of people share this feeling and here are testimonials to prove that:
Second Best Online Python Course for Beginners Testimonials:
3. Google IT Automation with Python Professional Certificate (Coursera by Google)
The third Best Online Python Course for Beginners is developed by Google (Grow With Google Team). If you are looking for a new career opportunity in the IT world and you’re an almost beginner – this one’s for you!
This course will prepare you for various roles in the IT industry, like advanced IT Support Specialist or Junior Systems Administrator positions.
What do we like the most about the course? No doubt that the partnership with big G provides huge quality assurance via its strong brand image.
It’s rated at 4.8/5. The course itself is free, but unfortunately the certificate of successful attendance is not included in the free version.
This course has been reviewed by 95 000 students.
According to Coursera and our own field work we can say that it takes around 8 months to complete the whole Professional Certificate (assuming 4 hours/week).
Why third place, then?
Based on our experience, we believe that this well-designed and reputable course may be the perfect fit for an expert beginner:
Ideal for those who already have a general idea of how basic programming works. But if you do not belong among these people, we suggest you pick our top recommendation for beginners.
Here is an overview of the third Best Online Python Course for Beginners:
1. Crash course on Python
2. Using Python to interact with the Operating System
3. Introduction to Git and GitHub
4. Troubleshooting and Debugging Techniques
5. Configuration Management and the Cloud
6. Automating Real-World Tasks with Python
Let’s explore the first module in detail!
In this part of the course you’ll learn about the foundations of Python.
In six weeks and around 31 hours, any student will be able to write simple programs using Python, figure out how the building blocks of programming fit together, and combine all of this knowledge to solve a relatively complex programming problem.
- Week 1: Basics of programming languages, syntax, and automation using scripting. Introduction to Python programming language and some essential functions and keywords of the language.
- Week 2: Identify, and convert data types in Python; variables, functions, and code exploration; comparing data using equality and logical operators; if statements.
- Week 3: Loops: how to use them, how to fix errors, and much more.
- Week 4: Explore and manipulate strings using indexing, slicing, and advanced formatting; find more about advanced data types as lists, tuples, and dictionaries.
- Week 5: Object-Oriented Programming: an optional section, but highly recommended;
- Week 6: Final project: implementing a script that generates a “word cloud” from some text.
The on-demand videos come with reading tasks, quizzes, and actionable coding exercises.
Testimonials for Third Best Online Python Course for Beginners:
BEST ONLINE PYTHON COURSES FOR INTERMEDIATE USERS
1. PCAP: Programming Essentials in Python (Cisco Networking Academy, in collaboration with Open EDG Python Institute)
Let’s start this count down with another prominent leader in the industry: Cisco – worldwide & highly reputable player in the IT, networking, and cybersecurity sectors.
This course opens up the doors of its Networking Academy to offer a free Python course in collaboration with OpenEDG Python Institute (the official point of reference for any Python user).
Thousands of students from major companies worldwide have passed this course. You might be wondering why? The answer is simple – the classes are offered to all the institutions participating in the Cisco Networking Academy program.
This specialization course prepares learners for exams and tests like PCEP – Certified Entry-Level Python Programmer, and PCAP – Certified Associate in Python Programming. Participants who complete the course get a voucher for the official exam.
The Best Online Python Course for Intermediate Students can be completed at self-pace within approximately 70-80 hours.
Cisco recommended study time: 7-10 weeks and 7-10 hours per week.
Students will follow six modules which are split into two parts: Part 1 will cover the program required for the PCEP.
Part 1: Basics
- Module 01: Introduction to Python and computer programming; setup, compilation vs. interpretation.
- Module 02: Recognize data types: variables, basic input-output operations, work on values using operator symbols and variables, operators and expressions.
- Module 03: Utilize boolean values, conditional execution, loops, lists and list processing, logical and bitwise operations.
- Module 04: Define and use functions, tuples, dictionaries, and data processing.
Part 2: Intermediate
- Module 05: Explore modules, packages, string and list methods, and exceptions.
- Module 06: Foundations of the object-oriented approach: classes, methods, objects, and the standard objective features; work with exception handling and access and process files from Python using code and objects.
The program includes on-demand videos, hands-on practice materials, labs, quizzes, and assessments. In other words, everything you need to become an expert!
Students taking this course should know ICT systems and have a basic understanding of programming concepts.
More than 400 000 learners have participated in the course to boost their career: not only analysts and data engineers but also game developers, security analysts, network analysts, and IoT engineers.
Best Online Python Courses For Intermediate Users Testimonials:
2. Professional Certificate in Introduction to Python Programming (Edx by Gtx Georgia Tech)
Second Best Online Python Course for Intermediate Users is offered by Edx.
Edx offers this Professional Certification as a series of courses built as Georgia Tech’s online classes. What we liked in this course is the approach to fundamental principles of computer science applicable to any programming language – and the implementation of those principles in Python.
That’s the reason why we recommend this course both to students with basic programming knowledge and intermediate level coders.
Getting the course certificate takes around 5 months, assuming 9-10 hours of learning per week. Lessons are free, but you have the chance to officially enroll in the program for €304. That’s only required if you do wish to get the certification.
Let’s have a look at the complete offer in detail:
- Computing in Python I: Fundamentals and Procedural Programming. Start from basics on how a computer interprets code lines up to writing small programs in Python.
- Computing in Python II: Control Structures. Conditionals, loops, functions, and error handling, specifically in Python but with broader applicability to other languages.
- Computing in Python III: Data Structures. Complex ways of handling data, including files, lists, and dictionaries for building complex programs.
- Computing in Python IV: Objects & Algorithms. Recursion, search and sort algorithms, and object-oriented programming in Python.
Let’s explore the last module of the course, as it requires at least a basic knowledge of Python.
This course will teach you to develop programs through object-oriented programming and analyze these programs’ complexity and efficiency through algorithms. Course length is 5 weeks, with an effort of 9-10 hours/week.
The course breaks down into 3 chapters:
- Chapter 1. Objects. Working with instances of complex data types or defining your own, like creating a class to represent a video game character, a class syllabus, or an item for sale.
- Chapter 2. Algorithms. Creating complex code for searching in large lists or sorting lists of data, and analyzing code for its complexity.
- Chapter 3. Course Recap. A comprehensive review of the Xseries as a whole, leading to the final exam.
Each chapter includes videos, quizzes and exercises, besides end-of-module problems.
More than 28 000 students have put their faith into the instructor David Joyner, Senior Research Associate at the College of Computing for the Georgia Institute of Technology, and enrolled in the course.
David is a Ph.D. in Human-Centered Computing and is an expert, among other areas, in Artificial Intelligence for Education.
This course will be the perfect hook to tackle new job opportunities, including software engineer, Python developer, research or data analyst, data scientist, or software developer.
Second Best Online Python Course For Intermediate Users Testimonials:
The course is a little different from the others we have reviewed so far, as it aims to strengthen the learner’s skills with bonus practice activities throughout the program.
This Python Mega Course is rated at 4.5/5 stars by over 42 000 people.
It comes with a price of 129,99€ that will grant you full access to the course materials and a shareable certification that will most certainly come in hand when you are looking for your next job.
Both beginners and intermediates can take this course, but beginners will likely struggle to be on top of everything.
This course is unique as it has a well operating Q&A section: teachers and assistants will drop answers to your questions within a day! Can’t get much better than this!
With 25 hours of on-demand videos, the course length is around 2-3 months, depending on the personal effort.
The course entails a hands-on approach, divided into 35 sections, for a total of 227 lessons.
Here’s an overview of the content:
- Introduction to course and tools; setup and install.
- The basics: small program, data types and operations with data types. Functions and conditionals, processing user input, loops.
- Putting the piece together: building a program.
- List comprehensions, more on functions, file processing, imported modules.
- App 1: English thesaurus: project exercise with Python and MySQL; working with CSV, JSON and Excel files; numerical and scientific computing with Python and Numpy.
- App 2: Volcano & Population web map; fixing programming errors.
- App 3: Personal website with Python; graphical user interfaces with Tkinter; interaction with Databases.
- App 4: Bookshop database app; object-oriented programming.
- App 5: Feel-good mobile app; making an APK for android; Python for image and video processing with OpenCV.
- App 6: Build a webcam motion detector; interactive data visualization with Bokeh; web scraping with Python Beautiful Soup.
- App 7: Real estate web scraper.
- App 8: Interactive data dashboard.
- App 9: Database web app.
- App 10 (project) Geocoder web app.
- Exercises and bonus lectures.
On top of 25 hours of on-demand video in this Python Mega Course, you will find readings, downloadable resources, and around 70 different coding exercises.
Ardit Sulce teaches this course. This guy is highly valuable as his rating stands at 4.5/5 (based on 56 000 reviews). No doubt that he is an expert in Python.
He is also the founder and author of PythonHow – a Python learning resource designed mainly for beginners.
His experience led him to work with Python within the Center for Conservation Geography to map and understand the Australian ecosystems, among others.
His course on Udemy (one of many) has already 197 000 students enrolled, and counting.
We value this course highly and so are others as you can see via these Testimonials:
BEST ONLINE PYTHON COURSES FOR ADVANCED USERS
This is it – the Best Online Python Course for Advanced Users.
If you want to go all the way with Python you need to master advanced data analysis, data science, and machine learning.
That’s why we started this list with another well-known Python course that will teach students even more advanced topics, such as neural networks or Natural Language Processing.
Python for Data Science and Machine Learning Bootcamp is rated 4.6/5 by more than 88 000 reviewers.
This course will cost you 129,99€ (a great price, in our opinion, for the content offered) and includes 25+ hours of video lectures, code notebooks, learning material, and a completion certificate.
You should be able to pass this course in 2 months.
This course requires students to have some previous programming experience.
The course has 27 modules and 165 lessons:
- Introduction, environment set-up, Jupyter overview.
- Python crash course to refresh basics.
- Python for data analysis: NumPy and Pandas (plus Pandas exercises).
- Python for data visualization: Matplotlib, Seaborn, Panda built-in data visualization, Plotly and Cufflinks, Geographical plotting.
- Data Capstone projects.
- Introduction to machine learning, performance evaluation.
- Linear regression, cross-validation and bias-variance trade-off, logistic regression, K nearest neighbors.
- Decision trees and random forests, support vector machines, K means clustering, principal component analysis, recommender systems (one section each).
- Natural Language processing, neural nets and deep learning, Big Data and Spark with Python.
This extensive course includes reading material, tests, and practical exercises.
After the Capstone projects, each Machine Learning module will have its own project you need to handle.
Once again, Jose Portilla confirms himself as a brilliant teacher and expert in the field, as expected by his long-time experience teaching data science to help other people learn to program.
Head of Data Science for Pierian Data Inc.,he’s involved with training courses for companies such as General Electric, Cigna, McKinsey, and many more.
Over 388 000 eager learners have enrolled in this course and used it to take their career as a Data Scientist to a new, even higher-paying level.
Best Online Python Courses for Advanced Users Testimonials:
2. IBM Data Science Professional Certificate (Coursera by IBM)
Don’t be fooled by the “for beginners” tag: this is another high-level, well-crafted Specialization path signed by Coursera and IBM.
I am guessing, no introduction is needed for one of the first big companies in the IT world.
This professional certificate is perfect for students interested in a career in data science and/or machine learning: the 9 module course is also a fit for beginners.
But we will focus here on the advanced modules, as Coursera offers a possibility to enroll in a single module for 39$USD.
This IBM course is highly appreciated by the community and has a rating of 4.6/5
This course is free to review, but requires an official enrollment if you want to obtain the highly valuable certificate.
Attending the entire course will require your commitment for approximately 10 months (suggested 5 hours/week).
However, if you are experienced in Python, you may want to skip modules 1, 2, and 3.
Let’s have a look at the Syllabus:
- What is Data Science?: Introduction to Data science
- Tools for Data Science: Discover the most popular data science tools and how to use them
- Data Science Methodology: How data scientists work; problem-solving build models
- Python for Data Science and AI: Python crash course to project creation
- Databases and SQL for Data Science: Hands-on SQL and databases
- Data Analysis with Python: Prepare data, perform analysis and data viz, predict trends, build machine learning models
- Data Visualization with Python: Leverage tools to visualize and present large datasets
- Machine Learning with Python: Overview of machine learning topics, real-life examples
- Applied Data Science Capstone
We would like to focus here on one of the upper-intermediate modules. Namely, on the one which focuses on Machine Learning.
Machine Learning With Python has over 165 878 students already enrolled and has a rating of 4.7 out of 5.
It’s a 6 weeks course that will require a study time of a few hours per week.
Here’s how the Machine Learning With Python curriculum is structured:
- Week 1: Introduction to Machine Learning and the advantage of Python libraries for implementing Machine Learning models.
- Week 2: Regressions: linear, non-linear, simple and multiple, and their applications.
- Week 3: Classifications: KNN, decision trees, logistic regression, and SVM. Pros and cons of each method and different classification accuracy metrics.
- Week 4: Clustering: partitioned-based, hierarchical, and density-based clustering.
- Week 5: Recommender Systems and two main types, content-based and collaborative filtering.
- Week 6: Final Project.
Each week includes short on-demand videos, readings, and exercise.
Both teachers of this course, Saeed Aghabozorgi and Joseph Santarcangelo are highly-rated (4.7/5) in the IBM Developer Skills Network.
Saeed Aghabozorgi is a Ph.D. Sr Data Scientist in IBM, an expert in developing advanced analytic methods like deep learning, machine learning, and statistical modelling on large datasets.
When you enroll in a single course that is part of a Certificate, you are automatically subscribed to the full Certificate.
Quite a useful feature, as the partnership with IBM will also grant you a few bonuses: you can earn an IBM badge and special access to IBM Talent Network, with immediate access to new IBM job postings and job recommendations, in addition to tips, tricks and info on how to improve your skills.
At this point in your skill-level, you can approach a broader offer of job opportunities, as Business Intelligence Analyst, Data Analyst, Data Architect, Data Engineer, Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, or Quantitative Analyst.
As highlighted by the testimonials, this course it’s challenging but high rewarding:
3. Applied Data Science with Python Specialization (Coursera by University of Michigan)
This is another course by the University of Michigan. It’s a specialization course that is tailored to students who already have a Python or programming background.
This course, number 3 in our Best Online Python Courses for Advanced Users, is rated 4.5/5 by more than 50 000 learners.
This course can be taken for free, while the final certification will require official enrollment in the course.
The Specialization is a fit for all those students willing to take the next step and apply machine learning, information visualization, text analysis, and social network analysis techniques through popular Python toolkits.
The whole Specialization, structured in 5 modules, will require approximately 5 months to complete, with a suggested estimate of 7 hours/week of study time.
This specialization is structured as follow:
- Introduction to Data Science in Python
- Applied Plotting, Charting & Data Representation in Python
- Applied Machine Learning in Python
- Applied Text Mining in Python
- Applied Social Network Analysis in Python
As we are more interested in the advanced classes at this point in learning, let’s look at the highest-rated module of the Specialization, the Applied Social Network Analysis in Python.
This is rated 4.7 out of 5. The Applied Social Network Analysis in Python course will take around 29 hours to complete.
- Week 1: Why Study Networks and Basics on NetworkX. Introduction to different networks and how they work; represent and manipulate networked data using the NetworkX library.
- Week 2: Network Connectivity. Analyze the connectivity of a network based on measures of distance, reachability, and redundancy of paths between nodes.
- Week 3: Influence Measures and Network Centralization. Measuring a node’s importance or centrality in a network, using measures such as Degree, Closeness, and Betweenness centrality, Page Rank, and Hubs and Authorities.
- Week 4: Network Evolution over time, including different models such as the Preferential Attachment Model and Small World Networks.
On-demand videos, readings, quizzes, and exercises are included in each week’s material, plus topic-related assignments.
E.g., analyzing a networked dataset of employees in a small company or combining different course concepts to predict the employees’ salary, position, and future connections by using their email exchange logs.
Worth to mention that discussion forums are quite active in offering additional support.
This course has been highly appreciated by the over 68 000 students who have already enrolled.
Here is the kicker – 37% of them have admitted a tangible career benefit from this course, and 23% achieved a pay increase or promotion thanks to it.
This course is handled by Daniel Romero, Assistant Professor in the School of Information at the University of Michigan.
His expertise in the empirical and theoretical analysis of Social and Information Networks granted him the appreciation of his students, who rated him 4.7/5.
Here are some of the Testimonials:
Best Python Courses Summary
There you have it – you’ve just gone through our list of Best Python Courses, Certifications, And Tutorials.
We based our assessment on our own experience and read hundreds of testimonials by others. We truly hope that this list is as useful to you as it is to us.
Python coders are among the highest-paid developers nowadays. That’s why investing your time and money in learning Python is definitely a smart move.
However, even the best course in the world won’t mean a thing without personal motivation and effort: so remember to keep pushing yourself.
Don’t give up, and best of luck with your new Python career!